Hazmat General, Safety and Security Awareness Training
Duration: Approximately 90 minutes
If your company ships hazmat or dangerous goods, the U.S. Department of Transportation requires the general awareness, safety and security training specified in 49 CFR Part 172.704 be taken every three years. This course meets the general awareness, safety and security training requirements.
This course covers:
- - An introduction to hazardous materials
- - Why training is important and what the requirements are
- - Which agencies set the requirements, and the publications which state their requirements
- - The transport chain, including shipper and operator responsibilities within it
- - Hazmat classifications
- - General packing requirements and proper package selection
- - How to mark and label packages correctly
- - How to correctly document hazmat shipments
- - A fully interactive environment, with learning checks and a final exam.
- - A convenient online platform, allowing you to start, stop and resume at any time.
- - Easy recordkeeping and a certificate of completion, which is valid for three years. The certificate will be saved in your online account and can be e-mailed, downloaded or printed.
- - Access to the course for a 90-day (3 month) period to complete your training.
Please Note: This course is an overview of the regulations, and is not for qualification or certification. This course is NOT for personnel who are responsible for acceptance checklists and regulatory review to determine compliance for a given shipment. Employees responsible for determining if packages comply with relevant regulations and employees responsible for certifying shipments (by signing a dangerous goods declaration or hazmat bill of lading) will require additional training as specified by their employer.
This course is the prerequisite to 49 CFR. You must take this course or an equivalent course before taking the 49 CFR Training course.